Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July Book Blog: Sew Serendipity Skirt Sew-Along - Part 2

Hello, everyone! Shannon here, and I'm back with Week 2 of our July Sew Serendipity Skirt Sew-Along. We are making the "Tailored Skirt" from Kay Whitt's book Sew Serendipity, so if you're just joining me, catch up by first reading last week's post.

This week, now that our supplies are gathered, we're following the layout/cutting and construction instructions on page 42, down through step 4. Generally, I highly recommend tracing off your pattern pieces onto tracing paper so your tissue remains uncut for future use - but in the interest of time (and because I'm making the largest size), I skipped that this time and just used the tissue.


I've got to say, I love that Sew Serendipity is a spiral-bound hardback, so it lays flat; and how convenient is the big pocket in the back for storing your tissue?


I am also loving how few pattern pieces this skirt takes. I like to use a temporary fabric spray adhesive instead of pins (such as Sulky KK2000) when tracing and/or cutting my fabric pattern pieces. I also really like to use a rotary cutter and straight edge anywhere there are long, straight edges on pattern pieces - and on this skirt, that was most of them! So, cutting went very quickly this time around - which is great news to me, because tedious cutting is my least favorite part of sewing.


Moving onto construction! After completing the waistband facing and preparation of folded contrast strips, I had a lot of fun with the pockets. The instructions tell you to do several lines of top- and edge-stitching along the top seam where the contrast hem is, and I chose a golden yellow thread to match the flower details in my main print. I am in love with how they look!


Contrast stitching also goes down along the vertical seamlines of the skirt. This is a time where I really appreciate having different machine feet to which I can turn. I have been using the sewing room at our office, where I like to use a Viking machine, and the feet easily pop in and out of a little grip. (In my home craft room, I have a Bernina - and the feet are equally as easy to snap in and out, using a little lever.) We contemporary sewers are so lucky for little conveniences like these! In these few steps along, I've been switching out between a regular foot, a 1/4-inch foot and a center guide blade foot. Of course, you can sew with a regular foot only - but being able to rely on these different feet reassures me that my sewing is more accurate than it would be otherwise. 

 

So, here I am with all of my skirt panels prepared and ready to be stitched together. This has been the most work-intensive of all weeks, and is where you should be at the end of construction step 4. Next week will be much lighter, as we continue with construction of the skirt, adding the zipper and and attaching the waistband facings (steps 5 and 6).


Are you sewing along with me? Be sure to share how your project is coming along in the comments! 

Happy Sewing,
Shannon

3 comments:

  1. I have this book and I made a variation of the tailored skirt. I need to make a muslin because her skirts tend to be a little large in the waist for me. Anyway I wanted to tell you this sew along may be what I need to go find some cloth in my stash and make myself a skirt too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to hear that you're feeling inspired to sew a skirt! I do hope you'll share what you create. (And I'll be honest, I'm glad to hear that her skirts are a little larger in the waist because I could certainly use the wiggle room. ;))

      Delete
  2. i dont sew clothes anymore...im a quilter and do a lot of handwork.....buttttt i am always on the look out for easy patterns and new ideas.....what is the grid looking stuff between the layout above? for some reason i cant see it on my monitor .. is that an interfacing or contrast fabric?

    ReplyDelete